Working at heights is a high-risk activity and the leading cause of death and serious injury in Australia.
According to Safe Work Australia; between 1 January 2003 and 31 December 2015:
- 359 workers were killed following a fall from a height—11% of all workers killed over this period.
- The greatest number of fatalities involved falling from roofs (59), and ladders (54).
- Workers aged 45 years and over made up 65% of those who died.
- The construction industry accounted for 37% of falls-related fatalities.
Using Elevated Work Platforms (EWP’s) is one way in which companies hope to reduce risk and prevent falls and injuries, normally occurring from ladders. However, Elevated Work Platforms carry their own set of safety risks.
Serious injury can arise when working with EWP’s due to:
- Falls, slips and trips
- Hit by falling object
- Manual handling
- Faulty platform gate catches
- Over-balancing while reaching or climbing onto platform mid-rails
- Mechanical failure of the levelling rod, boom or hydraulic cylinder mounts
- Ejection from the platform due to rough or obscured ground surface conditions that is enhanced by higher speed of travel
- Machine roll over due to adverse ground surface conditions or higher, less stable machine centre of gravity e.g. travelling with the boom extended
- Electric shock from direct contact with, or electrical arcing from, overhead power lines.
- Serious injury also occurs from jarring contact of the operator with platform guard rails when travelling over rough ground and from accidental movement of the platform leading to body compression against a tree branch or other solid object.
Hoverscape is assisting in revolutionising safety in the industry, with the ability to conduct a range of services using unmanned aerial vehicles commonly known as drones.
Using professional grade cameras with a range of zoom lenses, drones can now carry out Line of Site surveys and Visual Inspections at heights, while keeping your staff safely on the ground.
Some of the benefits of replacing EWP’s with drones include:
- Keeping your staff safely on the ground
- Complete an inspection in just a fraction of the time
- The High definition video allows you and your colleagues to view a live stream from the drone as if they were working at that height themselves
- The ability to easily manoeuvre around an asset means you can focus on areas of concern.
- Drones can be set up within minutes
- No need for expensive safety equipment
- No site shutdowns required
- No physical impact made on the environment due to heavy machinery
- Hoverscape performs the on-site risk assessment and safety analysis for your records including SWMS
- Hoverscape provide all required PPE equipment
- Each project is tailored to your requirements making it the most time and cost-efficient method for completing the works required
- Our selection of professional lenses permits our drone to capture up close data while remaining a safe distance from your asset
If you would like to learn more about how you could benefit from the use of drones at your site, or if you have questions about any part of service, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 1300 332 152 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We can even arrange a meeting at your office to identify more ways in which drones can streamline your current practices.
“We stand by our belief that drones can make your inspection process safer and more efficient. So much so that we offer a money back guarantee”